Adel Daoud, teen terror suspect, in court on FBI murder attempt
September 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Murder-for-hire charges have been filed against 19-year-old Adel Daoud, the suburban teenager already in jail waiting to be tried on terrorism charges.
Friday, he appeared in court.
"It's an absurd plot on its face," said attorney Thomas Durkin. "This is a 19-year-old kid who has no money. When you see what the payment terms are for the solicitation you will laugh out loud."
The Hillside teen is already facing terrorism charges for attempting to bomb a downtown Chicago bar. He was arrested in a federal sting last September for allegedly trying to ignite the bomb in a jihadist plot, a case which he also pleaded not guilty.
"My understanding is that this is some sort of street gang leader, jail house informant, the most unreliable type of witness that the courtrooms have ever seen," Durkin said.
Durkin says this latest alleged plot took place last November in the Kankakee County Jail where the gang leader approached Daoud in his cell. Prosecutors say Daoud wanted an undercover FBI agent, who supplied him with what he thought was an explosive device, to be killed.
In court Friday, U.S. Magistrate Daniel Martin asked if Daoud if he understood the charges against him. Daoud laughed, shrugged and said, "I guess". After a word with his lawyer, he smiled and repeatedly waved at the judge and saying, "Yes, yes."
"I think if you watch his demeanor it just proves what I'm saying in terms of na´ve," Durkin said. "He seems to have a happy-go-lucky attitude in court."
When asked if he meant that his client was mentally ill Durkin replied, "I'm suggesting that's an issue we are exploring."
Daoud's attorney and prosecutors are discussing combining the murder-for-hire and terrorism charges into one case. Daoud faces a potential life sentence if he is convicted on the terrorism charges. That trial is to begin in April.
local, ron magers
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 17 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10 37 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Couple injured after van lands in Huntley creek 49 min ago
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
17 min ago
- I-Team Thursday at 10
37 min ago