Mom allegedly fatally stabbed teen over ice cream
September 9, 2013 (SAUK VILLAGE, Ill.) (WLS) -- The mother of a slain Sauk Village teen has been charged in connection with his death.
Robin Erwin, 31, was charged with first degree murder for allegdly stabbing her son, 17-year-old Diontae Erwin, to death Saturday, police said in a statement.
Diontae was stabbed at his home in the 1700 block of East 223rd Street in Sauk Village, according to the Lake County, Ind., Coroner's office.
He was pronounced dead at 12:41 p.m. at Franciscan St. Margaret Health in Dyer, Ind., the coroner's office said. His death was ruled a homicide.
During the investigation, a man, Larry Gray, 21, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon. A parole violation warrant was also filed against Gray. Police say a total of 130 grams of cannabis was seized from the home.
The defendant and victim had an argument over ice cream, police say. Witnesses heard the argument, during which Robin Erwin allegedly stabbed her sonone time in the chest below the clavicle which pierced his heart.
Police say Robin Erwin called 911 and claimed the victim walked into the knife. An autopsy was performed by the Lake County Medical Examiner's Office and determined the cause of death to be a stab wound to the chest and deemed it a homicide.
Bond for Robin Erwin was set at $750,000.
Friends brought flowers and other mementos to the house where Diontae Erwin lived. The death of the high school senior and aspiring rapper has stunned his longtime friends.
"He was like a brother to me. When he died, that just shut me down. I couldn't think. It just really hurt," said Darion Jackson, friend.
"It's really sad, is a real shame. He was a good guy... there for me whenever I needed him," said friend Saul Nunez.
Neighbors say police were called to the house for various disturbances several times a week since the family moved in a year and a half ago.
"We're all feeling it... wish we could have done something to change it," said neighbor Michael Carney.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless 9 min ago
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 41 min ago
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers 34 min ago
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in Central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
41 min ago
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
34 min ago