Families: DUI charge not enough in fatal, wrong-way crash
September 9, 2013 (FOREST PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- ''I wanted to see the man who took my baby away from me,'' Kathy Resto-Marquez said on Monday at the Maywood Courthouse. Her daughter was one of two young women killed in a wrong-way crash over the weekend.
Charges are pending against Miguel Rico, 20, in connection with the head-on crash that killed Briana Resto, 19, and Monica Hernandez, 20, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office. A third woman, Brittney Mouzon survived.
Police say Rico was driving the wrong way on the Eisenhower early Saturday morning. Resto-Marquez, carrying a photo of her daughter, arrived at the Maywood Courthouse to find Rico won't be in bond court until Tuesday.
"I'm so lost, I'm so empty. I don't know what I'm feeling," Resto-Marquez said. Her daughter, Briana Resto, was killed instantly in the 2 a.m. crash.
Police say Rico was drunk when he drove a Dodge minivan the wrong way onto the exit ramp at Harlem at the Eisenhower Expressway. Possible charges of aggravated DUI aren't enough for Hernandez's family.
"It should be more. The charge should be upgraded to the full extent to whatever it is," Raul Medina, Monica Hernandez's uncle, said.
"It's so unfair. Our lives are destroyed. Her mother's life is destroyed," Angelica Esposito, Hernandez's aunt, said.
Resto and Hernandez both went to Triton Community College. Resto was studying criminal law and Hernandez just got a new job.
"I just hope he realizes the impact that was made on all of the families," Esposito said.
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 1 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 17 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
33 min ago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
30 min ago
- Let's Dish: Colcannon
16 min ago