Families: DUI charge not enough in fatal, wrong-way crash
September 9, 2013 (FOREST PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- ''I wanted to see the man who took my baby away from me,'' Kathy Resto-Marquez said on Monday at the Maywood Courthouse. Her daughter was one of two young women killed in a wrong-way crash over the weekend.
Charges are pending against Miguel Rico, 20, in connection with the head-on crash that killed Briana Resto, 19, and Monica Hernandez, 20, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office. A third woman, Brittney Mouzon survived.
Police say Rico was driving the wrong way on the Eisenhower early Saturday morning. Resto-Marquez, carrying a photo of her daughter, arrived at the Maywood Courthouse to find Rico won't be in bond court until Tuesday.
"I'm so lost, I'm so empty. I don't know what I'm feeling," Resto-Marquez said. Her daughter, Briana Resto, was killed instantly in the 2 a.m. crash.
Police say Rico was drunk when he drove a Dodge minivan the wrong way onto the exit ramp at Harlem at the Eisenhower Expressway. Possible charges of aggravated DUI aren't enough for Hernandez's family.
"It should be more. The charge should be upgraded to the full extent to whatever it is," Raul Medina, Monica Hernandez's uncle, said.
"It's so unfair. Our lives are destroyed. Her mother's life is destroyed," Angelica Esposito, Hernandez's aunt, said.
Resto and Hernandez both went to Triton Community College. Resto was studying criminal law and Hernandez just got a new job.
"I just hope he realizes the impact that was made on all of the families," Esposito said.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant