Families: DUI charge not enough in fatal, wrong-way crash
September 9, 2013 (FOREST PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- ''I wanted to see the man who took my baby away from me,'' Kathy Resto-Marquez said on Monday at the Maywood Courthouse. Her daughter was one of two young women killed in a wrong-way crash over the weekend.
Charges are pending against Miguel Rico, 20, in connection with the head-on crash that killed Briana Resto, 19, and Monica Hernandez, 20, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office. A third woman, Brittney Mouzon survived.
Police say Rico was driving the wrong way on the Eisenhower early Saturday morning. Resto-Marquez, carrying a photo of her daughter, arrived at the Maywood Courthouse to find Rico won't be in bond court until Tuesday.
"I'm so lost, I'm so empty. I don't know what I'm feeling," Resto-Marquez said. Her daughter, Briana Resto, was killed instantly in the 2 a.m. crash.
Police say Rico was drunk when he drove a Dodge minivan the wrong way onto the exit ramp at Harlem at the Eisenhower Expressway. Possible charges of aggravated DUI aren't enough for Hernandez's family.
"It should be more. The charge should be upgraded to the full extent to whatever it is," Raul Medina, Monica Hernandez's uncle, said.
"It's so unfair. Our lives are destroyed. Her mother's life is destroyed," Angelica Esposito, Hernandez's aunt, said.
Resto and Hernandez both went to Triton Community College. Resto was studying criminal law and Hernandez just got a new job.
"I just hope he realizes the impact that was made on all of the families," Esposito said.
- 5 kids shot in Greater Grand Crossing drive-by 2 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout