Evanston shooting near high school kills man, 21
September 11, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Evanston police say they are investigating the shooting death of a 21-year-old man one block away from Evanston Township High School.
Investigators found the man, Cardereon Preister, around 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 1700-block of Leland Avenue.
Evanston police say they are trying to locate witnesses and are looking at surveillance footage in the area.
Priester was shot once in the upper torso from behind just feet away from his grandparents' home.
According to police, Priester has a history of burglary and drug offenses and was known to associate with gang members.
Authorities say they shooting is in no way tied to Evanston Township; it just happened very close to the school.
One neighbor said she heard a single gunshot.
" It's something that we don't normally hear in the neighborhood. So, we just kind of didn't pay it any attention --thought maybe it wasn't that. Then, about 30 minutes later, we heard someone saying, 'Oh no.' So, I said, 'Well, something's going on outside. We got up, and we saw the police. They had the caution tape up," Tina Dillard said.
The last murder in Evanston happened in August. Authorities found two brothers dead in the basement of their Davis street tobacco shop. Police have not ruled out robbery on that case and no one is in custody in that double-murder.
In this case, Evanston police say they are hoping to receive tips from the public.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in
- Driver questioned in deadly Skokie crash
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 40 min ago
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault 38 min ago
- Toy Parade gathers gifts for children in need 41 min ago
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area