Evanston shooting near high school kills man, 21
September 11, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Evanston police say they are investigating the shooting death of a 21-year-old man one block away from Evanston Township High School.
Investigators found the man, Cardereon Preister, around 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 1700-block of Leland Avenue.
Evanston police say they are trying to locate witnesses and are looking at surveillance footage in the area.
Priester was shot once in the upper torso from behind just feet away from his grandparents' home.
According to police, Priester has a history of burglary and drug offenses and was known to associate with gang members.
Authorities say they shooting is in no way tied to Evanston Township; it just happened very close to the school.
One neighbor said she heard a single gunshot.
" It's something that we don't normally hear in the neighborhood. So, we just kind of didn't pay it any attention --thought maybe it wasn't that. Then, about 30 minutes later, we heard someone saying, 'Oh no.' So, I said, 'Well, something's going on outside. We got up, and we saw the police. They had the caution tape up," Tina Dillard said.
The last murder in Evanston happened in August. Authorities found two brothers dead in the basement of their Davis street tobacco shop. Police have not ruled out robbery on that case and no one is in custody in that double-murder.
In this case, Evanston police say they are hoping to receive tips from the public.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash 41 min ago
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly 50 min ago
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1 44 min ago
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 19 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- John Hancock observatory to Tilt
45 min ago