Lake Michigan waterspouts spotted near Kenosha
September 12, 2013 (KENOSHA, Wis.) (WLS) -- There was a rare sight on Lake Michigan as twin waterspouts formed near the Wisconsin shore. Sirens for the 'tornado on water' were activated but no damage or injuries have been reported.
Two professional photographers with the Kenosha News were rolling as the rare weather phenomena unfolded.
"I'm getting soaked but I'm still shooting," said Diane Giles, photographer, Kenosha News.
"I've seen small wispy water spouts on the lake but nothing that size," said Kevin Poirier, photographer, Kenosha News.
Such a site, that even amateur photographers beamed with excitement.
"It was marvelous, amazing, stupendous, it was all great!" said Mario Torress, witness. "I was living out that childhood fantasy, and when you do that, I guess you're not scared of the danger."
But the danger is real.
"Today's warnings were specific, stating that there was potential for water spouts, so we had those going up to mariners every 15 minutes," said Chief Petty Officer Alan Haraf, U.S. Coast Guard.
Chief Petty Officer Haraf says there was one report of a boat near the spouts, but a Coast Guard search turned up nothing.
"It was an incredible spout. I've never seen a waterspout so defined in the Midwest, let alone anywhere," said Chief Petty Officer Haraf.
And amateurs alike agree.
"Best day off ever, I could have been stuck at work and not been able to see it," said Torres. "Definitely I feel amazing about the whole thing!"
The tornado over water started as two waterspouts and morphed into one. It remained on Lake Michigan for about 10 minutes before fizzling out.
local, stacey baca
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemo 6 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 10 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 17 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Blind man survives track fall as LA train arrives
- Go offline for National Day of Unplugging 36 min ago