Missing boater's body found in Antioch; Lake Marie search for Dave Azooz
September 18, 2013 (ANTIOCH, Ill.) (WLS) -- The body of missing boater Dave Azooz, 47, was pulled from the Lake Marie.
After four hours of searching the murky waters of Lake Marie, which is part of the Chain of Lakes, Azooz's body was found around 11 p.m. Tuesday.
His family says Azooz, a father of four, grew up on the lake and loved to swim and water ski. He fell into the waters while fully clothed when he slept while fixing his boat. A family member called 911.
"From the time they called to the time we got on scene was just about 5 minutes. There were some deputies from the sheriff's department, who, from shore, had a civilian boat and they attempted to do a rescue as well. They couldn't locate the individual either," Antioch Department Chief Chris Lienhardt said.
Dive teams and boats with sonar from five departments responded, Lienhardt said.
Azooz's family released a statement asking for privacy, "While we have not predicted the events of last night we can request the media and the public respect the we have many difficult things to face in the coming days. We ask for time to make these decisions and [mourn] our beloved husband, father and friend. I am asking the media for sensitivity in this regard. Dave was an amazing father, a caring husband and a great friend to all. We would like to specially thank all the countless men and women from all the rescue agencies that added in the recovery of Dave."
Firefighters reminded boaters to wear a life jacket onboard.
local, jason knowles
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car... 50 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend 23 min ago
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos