Missing boater's body found in Antioch; Lake Marie search for Dave Azooz
September 18, 2013 (ANTIOCH, Ill.) (WLS) -- The body of missing boater Dave Azooz, 47, was pulled from the Lake Marie.
After four hours of searching the murky waters of Lake Marie, which is part of the Chain of Lakes, Azooz's body was found around 11 p.m. Tuesday.
His family says Azooz, a father of four, grew up on the lake and loved to swim and water ski. He fell into the waters while fully clothed when he slept while fixing his boat. A family member called 911.
"From the time they called to the time we got on scene was just about 5 minutes. There were some deputies from the sheriff's department, who, from shore, had a civilian boat and they attempted to do a rescue as well. They couldn't locate the individual either," Antioch Department Chief Chris Lienhardt said.
Dive teams and boats with sonar from five departments responded, Lienhardt said.
Azooz's family released a statement asking for privacy, "While we have not predicted the events of last night we can request the media and the public respect the we have many difficult things to face in the coming days. We ask for time to make these decisions and [mourn] our beloved husband, father and friend. I am asking the media for sensitivity in this regard. Dave was an amazing father, a caring husband and a great friend to all. We would like to specially thank all the countless men and women from all the rescue agencies that added in the recovery of Dave."
Firefighters reminded boaters to wear a life jacket onboard.
local, jason knowles
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 18 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted 53 min ago
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago 22 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine 13 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD