Evanston teen charged with shooting death
September 20, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- An 18-year-old Evanston man has been charged with the recent shooting death of a 21-year-old man near Evanston Township High School.
Matthew A. Dubose, of 1830 Hovland Court, is charged with first-degree murder, according to a release issued Thursday night by the Evanston Police Department.
The victim, Cardereon Priester, was shot on Sept. 10 in the in the 1700-block of Leland Ave., about a block from the high school.
The 21-year-old was shot once from behind. Police say the shooting happened during an exchange of drugs and money for a gun.
Evanston investigators, working with the North Regional Major Crime Task Force, believe Preister's death was in retaliation for a previous meeting that took place over the summer between Dubose and the victim to exchange drugs and money for a firearm that the victim had. The exchange went awry between the two, which in turn lead to the murder of Preister several weeks later, according to the release.
Dubose is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing Friday morning in 2nd Municipal District Circuit Court in Skokie. He also is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 30.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this story.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area 39 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning 47 min ago
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler