Evanston teen charged with shooting death
September 20, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- An 18-year-old Evanston man has been charged with the recent shooting death of a 21-year-old man near Evanston Township High School.
Matthew A. Dubose, of 1830 Hovland Court, is charged with first-degree murder, according to a release issued Thursday night by the Evanston Police Department.
The victim, Cardereon Priester, was shot on Sept. 10 in the in the 1700-block of Leland Ave., about a block from the high school.
The 21-year-old was shot once from behind. Police say the shooting happened during an exchange of drugs and money for a gun.
Evanston investigators, working with the North Regional Major Crime Task Force, believe Preister's death was in retaliation for a previous meeting that took place over the summer between Dubose and the victim to exchange drugs and money for a firearm that the victim had. The exchange went awry between the two, which in turn lead to the murder of Preister several weeks later, according to the release.
Dubose is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing Friday morning in 2nd Municipal District Circuit Court in Skokie. He also is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 30.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this story.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 18 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- What electronics will be under your tree? 53 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- EB 80/94 closed at Cline by multi-vehicle crash 36 min ago
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- Skokie fire lights up sky
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
18 min ago
- What electronics will be under your tree?
53 min ago