Body found near crashed car of Arlington Heights man missing nearly a month
September 20, 2013 (WEST CHICAGO, Ill.) (WLS) -- A vehicle belonging to an elderly Arlington Heights man was found crashed, along with a body, at a West Chicago ravine Thursday, nearly a month after the man was reported missing.
Eugene Jonsson, 84, has been missing from his Arlington Heights residence since August 22. The vehicle, a gray 2004 Buick LeSabre four-door, bearing Illinois license plate JONS507, was found by a landscaper working along Rt. 59, near Hawthorne Lane in West Chicago.
The landscaper noticed the car in a heavily wooded ravine, and upon investigating, found a partially decomposed body alongside the car. The landscaper then flagged down a passing West Chicago police car, police said.
Based upon the location and condition of the vehicle, police say, it appears the car drove off the road into the ravine before striking several trees. The impact caused the driver and passenger front airbags to deploy, and the vehicle sustained heavy front-end damage, police said.
The DuPage County Coroner's Office took custody of the remains and will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Identification of the remains is pending examination of dental records, police said.
Jonsson left home August 22 headed for a nearby restaurant. He was last seen early the following morning in Yorkville asking for directions.
Police say while he didn't have any known medical conditions, he had recently become lost while driving.
"I really, really, really want someone to find him whatever the outcome. I just really want someone to find him, so we know," said Sue Martin, daughter.
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway 42 min ago
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan...
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Eataly Chicago closes for day- one week after opening
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest...
17 min ago