Downers Grove man allegedly robs home of neighbors who died in July murder-suicide
September 20, 2013 (DOWNERS GROVE, Ill.) -- A 43-year-old man is accused of breaking into the home of his deceased neighbors on several occasions after the couple was found dead in a July murder-suicide.
Kenneth Harry, of 6231 Park Avenue, Downers Grove, has been charged with burglary and theft for allegedly entering the home of Thomas and Jennifer Smith, who died in July in a murder-suicide.
Harry's bond was set at $250,000. On several occasions between August 28 and September 17, police say, Harry entered the home of the Smiths' home next door, and stole items, including a snowblower, an amplifier and six Coach purses. Harry then allegedly pawned the items and kept the money. The Downers Grove Police Department uncovered the alleged thefts when the executor of the Smiths' estate noticed some items missing from the home. Harry was arrested Thursday.
Harry is charged with three counts of burglary and two counts of theft. He faces a possible sentence of up to six to 30 years in prison if convicted.
Officers conducting a well-being check at a home in the 6200 block of Park Avenue in July found the man and woman dead in the home with stab wounds, a statement from Downers Grove police Lt. Mike Willison said. They were identified as Thomas F. Smith, 41; and his wife, Jennifer M. Smith, 39, police said.
It appears Thomas Smith killed his wife and then committed suicide, police said. The couple's 11-year-old daughter was not home at the time and was staying with relatives.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash 12 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 55 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 14 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
12 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
30 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos