Security guard dies breaking up school fight; No charges filed
September 28, 2013 (SOUTH HOLLAND, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police say they have released two students who were in custody in connection with the death of a school security guard.
Police said they plan to interview other witnesses again Saturday.
An autopsy was inconclusive as to why Thornwood High School security guard Richard Cowser, 54, died while trying to break up a school fight, but showed there were no signs of blunt force trauma.
Cowser fell into a school locker on Thursday afternoon and died at a local hospital. Police are questioning two students, both females, who were involved in the fight and reviewing school security cameras. Student Tyshon Boyd gave ABC7 cell phone video of the fight.
Police say the teenaged girls were arguing over a pair of designer jeans when Cowser tried to break up the fight. It isn't clear if he was actually struck by a student or if he just fell, hitting his head on the locker.
Boyd said Cowser's face turned purple when he hit the ground.
"The security guards run over there, trying to break the fight up. He jumped in front of the girls and he just slowly passed out. He leaned over into the locker and passed out," Boyd said.
Cowser is from the South Holland area. He and his wife moved back recently from Florida.
"Just fresh air in this area because it's nice and quiet here. A blessing to add to the cul de sac, to the community, itself. Good people," Acie Cheairs, neighbor, said.
Cowser's family said they believe the body builder, who students say resembled "Hulk" was in good shape.
Flags at Thornwood High School were being flown at half-mast on Friday afternoon.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school 42 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos