Security guard dies breaking up school fight; No charges filed
September 28, 2013 (SOUTH HOLLAND, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police say they have released two students who were in custody in connection with the death of a school security guard.
Police said they plan to interview other witnesses again Saturday.
An autopsy was inconclusive as to why Thornwood High School security guard Richard Cowser, 54, died while trying to break up a school fight, but showed there were no signs of blunt force trauma.
Cowser fell into a school locker on Thursday afternoon and died at a local hospital. Police are questioning two students, both females, who were involved in the fight and reviewing school security cameras. Student Tyshon Boyd gave ABC7 cell phone video of the fight.
Police say the teenaged girls were arguing over a pair of designer jeans when Cowser tried to break up the fight. It isn't clear if he was actually struck by a student or if he just fell, hitting his head on the locker.
Boyd said Cowser's face turned purple when he hit the ground.
"The security guards run over there, trying to break the fight up. He jumped in front of the girls and he just slowly passed out. He leaned over into the locker and passed out," Boyd said.
Cowser is from the South Holland area. He and his wife moved back recently from Florida.
"Just fresh air in this area because it's nice and quiet here. A blessing to add to the cul de sac, to the community, itself. Good people," Acie Cheairs, neighbor, said.
Cowser's family said they believe the body builder, who students say resembled "Hulk" was in good shape.
Flags at Thornwood High School were being flown at half-mast on Friday afternoon.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 10 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 40 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder 4 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
10 min ago