O'Hare International Airport's new runway hosts run to benefit veterans
September 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Crews have been making major updates to O'Hare International Airport for the past five years and while you can always expect heavy traffic at O'Hare, Sunday morning it was foot traffic.
Celebrating the airport's brand new runway that is not even open to air traffic yet, it was opened up to thousands of runners first for the O'Hare Run on the Runway.
"For me, it's kind of like seeing a baby eating ice cream for the first time," said United Airlines worker Jared Pasparage.
They were excited, to say the least, to race to the airport in a different way.
"Well, I'm looking forward to seeing all the planes and everything," said runner Jillian Locke. "It's different scenery than what I'm used to."
Runners ran on a runway in a normally prohibited area and even United Airlines workers wanted a chance to be up close to their airport.
"I think it's a great experience, not only to represent United, but you know, for my first running experience to be sort of close to what has been a big part of my life for 20 years, and that's the aviation industry, so very excited about it," United worker Cliff Riley said.
The new runway, formally called 10c-28c, will officially open to air traffic on October 17 as part of O'Hare's expansion project.
"We are consistently changing so we can be the most efficient airport we need to add capacity and reduce delays and create the efficiency the traveling public demands," said Rosemarie Andolino, Commissioner of Chicago Department of Aviation.
Proceeds from Sunday's run go towards the Wounded Warrior Project, helping those injured in the armed services.
ohare airport, chicago news, diane pathieu
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 58 min ago
- Chicago fast-food workers protest low wages 5 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment 46 min ago
- Richard Gillman gets 4 years in prison, 2 years of probation in... 20 min ago
- 2 sex assault attempts reported in Humboldt Park 51 min ago
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55 25 min ago
- Homeowner tied up during La Grange Park robbery 42 min ago
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft
- Uptown fire forces residents out of apartments 29 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55
25 min ago
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos