Man in custody in death of homeless Wheaton mom of 7
September 30, 2013 (GLEN ELLYN, Ill.) (WLS) -- A man has been taken into custody after a missing Wheaton woman was found possibly stabbed to death in a park in west suburban Glen Ellyn, police said.
The body of 33-year-old Linda Valez was discovered in a forested area of a park on Saturday. There was evidence that Valez had been stabbed, though her official cause of death has not yet been determined, Glen Ellyn police said.
Police are questioning a man but no charges had been filed as of late Monday afternoon. The attack is not believed to be random, and police said there is no evidence the public is in danger.
Police were prompted to patrol the area near Panfish Park after Wheaton police reported a missing person earlier in the week.
While in the area, officers noticed signs of "foot traffic and activity that appeared to have occurred in a forested area of the park," a statement from Glen Ellyn police said. The DuPage County Sheriff's office and Wheaton police aided in the search.
Police discovered Valez's body in the late afternoon with "obvious" signs of trauma, the statement said. The DuPage County Major Crimes Task Force is investigating.
Valez-Colon was from Wheaton and was said to have been homeless by choice. She was last seen on Tuesday. She leaves behind seven children.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year