Man in custody in death of homeless Wheaton mom of 7
September 30, 2013 (GLEN ELLYN, Ill.) (WLS) -- A man has been taken into custody after a missing Wheaton woman was found possibly stabbed to death in a park in west suburban Glen Ellyn, police said.
The body of 33-year-old Linda Valez was discovered in a forested area of a park on Saturday. There was evidence that Valez had been stabbed, though her official cause of death has not yet been determined, Glen Ellyn police said.
Police are questioning a man but no charges had been filed as of late Monday afternoon. The attack is not believed to be random, and police said there is no evidence the public is in danger.
Police were prompted to patrol the area near Panfish Park after Wheaton police reported a missing person earlier in the week.
While in the area, officers noticed signs of "foot traffic and activity that appeared to have occurred in a forested area of the park," a statement from Glen Ellyn police said. The DuPage County Sheriff's office and Wheaton police aided in the search.
Police discovered Valez's body in the late afternoon with "obvious" signs of trauma, the statement said. The DuPage County Major Crimes Task Force is investigating.
Valez-Colon was from Wheaton and was said to have been homeless by choice. She was last seen on Tuesday. She leaves behind seven children.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 32 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos