Healing Field in Aurora supports military families
October 4, 2013 (AURORA, Ill.) (WLS) -- The city of Aurora is urging people to show their support for the men and women of the military by sponsoring a flag in the Healing Field.
It's located near the West Aurora High School football field.
Two thousand thirteen flags will be installed in the field for ten days next month ahead of Veteran's Day.
The field is a way to show appreciation for the service and sacrifice of those in the military.
"The Healing Field here at West Aurora High School is a representation of each person who left this land and returned with stories that only they can understand, as well as those who left this land and sadly never returned," said Aurora Mayor Tom Weisner.
The Healing Field was started after the 911 attacks in 2001 to illustrate how many people lost their lives that day.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer