Backpacks distributed to the Chicago homeless
October 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Backpacks specially designed for homeless people are going to be handed out in Chicago this fall.
The first of 2,300 of them were distributed at Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Service Center on Friday.
Chicago businessman Ron Kaplan started the project and says homeless people had input in the design of the waterproof backpacks.
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Several injured in Racine pile-up
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in Central Ill. 49 min ago
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House
- Church holds service outside after roof collapse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Cold weather brings flight delays, cancellations