Backpacks distributed to the Chicago homeless
October 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Backpacks specially designed for homeless people are going to be handed out in Chicago this fall.
The first of 2,300 of them were distributed at Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Service Center on Friday.
Chicago businessman Ron Kaplan started the project and says homeless people had input in the design of the waterproof backpacks.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds