Young mother killed in Woodlawn crash
October 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A crash on Chicago's South Side left one woman dead and sent at least two other people to area hospitals.
The crash happened around 2:30 Sunday morning at the corner of 63rd and Woodlawn.
As police continue to investigate the scene, we're getting a look at surveillance video that shows the impact of the crash.
At 2:41 a.m. a white Infiniti traveling westbound on 63rd Street came into the intersection. A blue Nissan traveling southbound on Woodlawn then t-boned the white car sending it crashing into a traffic signal pole.
The pole snapped and slammed onto the car's hood.
Sunday, family and friends came to the scene to grieve 18-year-old Tabria Jarmon.
Jarmon's family said she was a young mother that left behind a 7-month-old son, Chase.
The surveillance video was taken from inside the Robust Coffee Shop steps away from the crash.
Jake Sepstein owns the coffee shop and says this intersection is notorious for bad crashes.
"Unfortunately we've seen this type of thing a few times," Septstein said. "My partner and I opened this shop three and a half years ago. This is probably the third fatal accident and at least a dozen horrible accidents have happened."
He thinks the placement of the traffic signals, which were recently repaired after a storm, are part of the problem.
"A lot of lights in the city are positioned where they are in the middle of the intersection hanging over the street," he said. "The light at all four intersections at 63rd and Woodlawn are at the corners which when the trees are in bloom you don't actually see some of them until you're 10-15 feet from the light."
Two other people in the white car were transported to local hospitals and are expected to be okay.
The people in the other car were unhurt and it is unclear who is at fault in this accident. Police have not issued any citations.
Police do say alcohol and drugs may have played a role in the crash.
local, diane pathieu
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 11 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
9 min ago