JaMarkus Lofton, 7, recovering after stabbing
October 7, 2013 (LANSING, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police are investigating whether the stabbing of 7-year-old JaMarkus Lofton was intentional or an accident.
Lofton's mother says the incident happened during a basketball game when another child pulled a knife.
Lofton doesn't want to talk about what happened on his buddy's driveway, but it ended with him in the intensive care. The serrated edge of a utility knife stuck in the side of his head. The tip of blade was just one millimeter from his brain.
"He came and started charging at me like this," said Lofton, while making a stabbing motion.
"He came running home screaming, 'there's a knife stuck in his head," said Ebony Ward, Lofton's mother. "He said the other boy from the neighborhood stabbed him in the head with a knife."
JaMarkus and his neighbor Tyler were shooting hoops when they say an 11-year-old boy, who lives a few blocks away got mad because they wouldn't let him play.
"He just pulled out a pocket knife and started to play around with them, like 'here let me know you' and he like throws it at him," said witness Tyler Reedy.
"It made me nervous," Reedy said. "I thought he was going to die."
Tyler ran to get JaMarkus' mom and what she saw, stunned her.
JaMarkus spent five days in the hospital and went home with a titanium plate in his head, a line of stitches and orders to take it easy.
JaMarkus' mom says she has yet to hear from the family of the 11-year-old in the days that have passed.
"Where's the remorse? Where's the accountability?" Ward asks."No card, no phone call, nothing. I couldn't tell you who his parents are," she said.
local, ben bradley
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie 16 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security 20 min ago
- Indiana soldier among 6 dead in Afghanistan crash
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum 40 min ago
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
19 min ago
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
16 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
24 min ago