Man charged with murder after woman's body found in River Forest; victim ID'd as Jasmin Salas
October 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Authorities have arrested and charged a man they say confessed to killing 20-year-old expectant mother Jasmin Salas, whose body was found in the western suburbs earlier in the week.
Justino Correa, 19, of Chicago is charged with first-degree murder and attempting to conceal a homicide for allegedly stabbing Salas and dumping her body in a wooded area of River Forest. Salas was four months pregnant when she died, according to authorities.
Family members of the victim say the pair had been in a relationship in the past. Salas and Correa share a 4-year-old daughter, who was present at the time of the murder, authorities said.
Salas' body was discovered Thursday inside a plastic bin in the forest preserve at 8100 W. Chicago, according to a police news release.
The release also said the Cook County Medical Examiner concluded that the cause and manner of death was multiple stab and incised wounds.
According to the state's attorney, Correa and Salas got into an argument in the basement of Correa's home, and that argument turned physical. Prosecutors say Correa grabbed a knife and stabbed Salas to death, then got a bag and placed it over her head. Correa suffered severe cuts to his hand.
Correa then allegedly went upstairs to watch TV with his daughter and took her to school later that morning. When he returned, he allegedly put Salas' body in a plastic box and dropped it off at Thatcher Woods.
Neighbors reportedly noticed the cuts to Correa's hand and advised him to go to the hospital, which is where he is said to have confessed to staff members that he killed Salas.
Police say Correa was then taken into custody.
Correa was denied bond in a hearing Saturday. His next court appearance was scheduled for October 15.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 13 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 43 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Joe McGinniss dies at 71 after cancer battle 12 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 52 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
13 min ago