Illinois Army National Guard soldiers honored for sacrifice, service
October 12, 2013 (WLS) -- Over 100 Illinois Army National Guard soldiers were honored Saturday in a ceremony for the 9334d Military Police Company held at Chicago Botanic Gardens.
They were recognized by the National Guard bureau freedom salute campaign for their sacrifice and service in support of operation enduring freedom.
The soldiers' unit deployed to Afghanistan where they worked with Special Forces troops.
"That work that you did is something chairman Dempsey has highlighted in his strategic vision for the future as being critically for general purpose forces like we in the National Guard Special Operations group community continue to work together so be very proud of yourselves," said Brig. Gen. Richard, J. Hayes, Army National Guard.
Six soldiers earned Bronze Star medals, 76 earned Army commendation medals, 42 earned Army achievement medals and 19 received combat action badges.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 13 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 40 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77