3 dead in fiery garbage truck crash in Glenview
October 15, 2013 (GLENVIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- Three lives were lost in a fiery crash involving a garbage truck Tuesday in north suburban Glenview.
The driver of the truck was not hurt and so far, no charges have been filed.
According to a friend, the three victims are all Korean-Americans and part of a close-knit community here.
Flowers mark the spot where the garbage truck came to rest on top of the passenger car, killing the three people believed to be inside. Peter Lee believes he knows the victims, a married couple and a new immigrant from Korea.
"Just a terrible tragedy for her family, who's in Korea, and for the entire Korean community in Chicago," said Peter Lee, victim's friend.
Police say the driver of the truck heading northbound on Harlem, then crashed into the car which was headed east on Harrison. The truck ended up on top of the car down the block. The truck driver was able to escape unhurt before the both vehicles erupted in flames. It was so bad firefighters were initially unable to determine how many victims were in the car.
"Given the volume of fire they couldn't get a visual on the inside of the car or the truck so their first priority was to did the fire extinguished and get the fire under control, which they did pretty quickly," said Ralph Ensign, Glenview Fire Department.
Police used a crane to lift the truck towing it to a storage yard. They covered the car with a tarp and towed it with the bodies still inside to the medical examiner's office.
"It's a tough time, but we'll pull together," said Lee.
A neighbor who lives in the property right next to where the crash happened ran outside to help, but there was nothing she was able to do. Her family says it was all too upsetting for her to talk about.
Autopsies on the three bodies are planned for Wednesday.
local, john garcia
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in
- Driver questioned in deadly Skokie crash
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robbery suspect sought by FBI
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Amputee Coalition camp builds support for youth
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Making Your Own Candy Canes
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area