3 dead in fiery garbage truck crash in Glenview
October 15, 2013 (GLENVIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- Three lives were lost in a fiery crash involving a garbage truck Tuesday in north suburban Glenview.
The driver of the truck was not hurt and so far, no charges have been filed.
According to a friend, the three victims are all Korean-Americans and part of a close-knit community here.
Flowers mark the spot where the garbage truck came to rest on top of the passenger car, killing the three people believed to be inside. Peter Lee believes he knows the victims, a married couple and a new immigrant from Korea.
"Just a terrible tragedy for her family, who's in Korea, and for the entire Korean community in Chicago," said Peter Lee, victim's friend.
Police say the driver of the truck heading northbound on Harlem, then crashed into the car which was headed east on Harrison. The truck ended up on top of the car down the block. The truck driver was able to escape unhurt before the both vehicles erupted in flames. It was so bad firefighters were initially unable to determine how many victims were in the car.
"Given the volume of fire they couldn't get a visual on the inside of the car or the truck so their first priority was to did the fire extinguished and get the fire under control, which they did pretty quickly," said Ralph Ensign, Glenview Fire Department.
Police used a crane to lift the truck towing it to a storage yard. They covered the car with a tarp and towed it with the bodies still inside to the medical examiner's office.
"It's a tough time, but we'll pull together," said Lee.
A neighbor who lives in the property right next to where the crash happened ran outside to help, but there was nothing she was able to do. Her family says it was all too upsetting for her to talk about.
Autopsies on the three bodies are planned for Wednesday.
local, john garcia
- CPS adds 3 schools to turnaround list 14 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Vets raise money to build WWII submarine memorial 4 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- BNSF Metra trains moving again after semi crash at Kedzie 42 min ago
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Iceberg twice size of Atlanta drifts away from Antarctica
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos