29 students charged in Percy Julian High School fight
October 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police officers were called to Percy Julian High School on the city's South Side after a large fight inside the school.
Police responded to calls around 10 a.m. at the Chicago public school at 10330 South Elizabeth Street. Officers would only say there was a "disturbance," but a student said 20 to 30 students were involved in a fight on the second floor with no serious injuries.
The fight may have been between rival gangs. Twenty-nine students-- 26 boys, 3 girls-- were arrested and charged with mob action, authorities said Tuesday night.
"There were a whole bunch of people, a whole bunch of guys, probably 20 guys fighting," Jovon Fluker, senior at Julian High School, said. "I saw one guy whose nose was bleeding. That's the only guy I saw that was injured."
Fluker said security and police broke up the fight. Some students were removed by police in zip-ties.
The Chicago Police Department was originally discussing the possibility of dismissing classes early, but CPS said that's no longer the case.
Extra security will remain at Julian High School as long as need, Chicago police said.
local, paul meincke
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 12 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night 13 min ago
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed 4 min ago
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home