29 students charged in Percy Julian High School fight
October 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police officers were called to Percy Julian High School on the city's South Side after a large fight inside the school.
Police responded to calls around 10 a.m. at the Chicago public school at 10330 South Elizabeth Street. Officers would only say there was a "disturbance," but a student said 20 to 30 students were involved in a fight on the second floor with no serious injuries.
The fight may have been between rival gangs. Twenty-nine students-- 26 boys, 3 girls-- were arrested and charged with mob action, authorities said Tuesday night.
"There were a whole bunch of people, a whole bunch of guys, probably 20 guys fighting," Jovon Fluker, senior at Julian High School, said. "I saw one guy whose nose was bleeding. That's the only guy I saw that was injured."
Fluker said security and police broke up the fight. Some students were removed by police in zip-ties.
The Chicago Police Department was originally discussing the possibility of dismissing classes early, but CPS said that's no longer the case.
Extra security will remain at Julian High School as long as need, Chicago police said.
local, paul meincke
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 47 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say 20 min ago
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released 37 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail 14 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- More goats found dead in Ill. animal cruelty case
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All 53 min ago