29 students charged in Percy Julian High School fight
October 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police officers were called to Percy Julian High School on the city's South Side after a large fight inside the school.
Police responded to calls around 10 a.m. at the Chicago public school at 10330 South Elizabeth Street. Officers would only say there was a "disturbance," but a student said 20 to 30 students were involved in a fight on the second floor with no serious injuries.
The fight may have been between rival gangs. Twenty-nine students-- 26 boys, 3 girls-- were arrested and charged with mob action, authorities said Tuesday night.
"There were a whole bunch of people, a whole bunch of guys, probably 20 guys fighting," Jovon Fluker, senior at Julian High School, said. "I saw one guy whose nose was bleeding. That's the only guy I saw that was injured."
Fluker said security and police broke up the fight. Some students were removed by police in zip-ties.
The Chicago Police Department was originally discussing the possibility of dismissing classes early, but CPS said that's no longer the case.
Extra security will remain at Julian High School as long as need, Chicago police said.
local, paul meincke
- Boy critical after 90 minutes underwater in pond
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 29 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos