Demarius Reed funeral held in Chicago area
October 26, 2013 (HARVEY, Ill.) (WLS) -- An Eastern Michigan University and former Simeon Career Academy football player was laid to rest Saturday morning.
Friends of Demarius Reed described him as a fun loving person who became another victim of gun violence.
A long line of mourners filed into Holy Temple Cathedral in Harvey to say goodbye to Reed.
"He was a tremendous person on and off the field of football," said friend Cywettnie Brown.
Friends and family paid tribute to the Eastern Michigan University football player.
The 20-year-old communications major from Chicago was shot multiple times in an off-campus apartment last Friday in what police say may have been a robbery.
A reward for information in the case has been doubled to $10,000.
"Because he did so much in the little time he was here he will be remembered forever. Always in our hearts," said family friend Eugene White.
Before going to Eastern Michigan, Reed was a standout football player at Simeon Career Academy.
Loved ones struggle to understand why he's been taken from them.
"It's hard to lose someone you've known for so long that was a part of your life and the things you loved to do. This is very hard," said Brown.
Reed played in six games this season, catching 15 passes for 181 yards and a touchdown.
"What he did on the field doesn't compare to what he was as a person," said White.
local, karen jordan
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard 5 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits