Demarius Reed funeral held in Chicago area
October 26, 2013 (HARVEY, Ill.) (WLS) -- An Eastern Michigan University and former Simeon Career Academy football player was laid to rest Saturday morning.
Friends of Demarius Reed described him as a fun loving person who became another victim of gun violence.
A long line of mourners filed into Holy Temple Cathedral in Harvey to say goodbye to Reed.
"He was a tremendous person on and off the field of football," said friend Cywettnie Brown.
Friends and family paid tribute to the Eastern Michigan University football player.
The 20-year-old communications major from Chicago was shot multiple times in an off-campus apartment last Friday in what police say may have been a robbery.
A reward for information in the case has been doubled to $10,000.
"Because he did so much in the little time he was here he will be remembered forever. Always in our hearts," said family friend Eugene White.
Before going to Eastern Michigan, Reed was a standout football player at Simeon Career Academy.
Loved ones struggle to understand why he's been taken from them.
"It's hard to lose someone you've known for so long that was a part of your life and the things you loved to do. This is very hard," said Brown.
Reed played in six games this season, catching 15 passes for 181 yards and a touchdown.
"What he did on the field doesn't compare to what he was as a person," said White.
local, karen jordan
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Near-death experience inspires businessman 11 min ago
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 23 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches 39 min ago
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
11 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos