Metra train strikes, kills pedestrian in Park Ridge; UP-NW delayed
October 29, 2013 (PARK RIDGE, Ill.) -- A Metra train struck and killed a pedestrian in Park Ridge Tuesday afternoon, delaying trains along the Union Pacific-Northwest line.
The person was struck between Dee Road and Park Ridge stations during the middle of Tuesday evening's commute. He or she was killed, officials said.
Union Pacific / Northwest train No. 631 was en route to McHenry when it hit a pedestrian near the Touhy Avenue overpass, just northwest of the Uptown Park Ridge station, according to Park Ridge police Cmdr. Jason Leavitt.
As of 7:45 p.m., all trains between Crystal Lake, Harvard and Chicago are still stopped following the 5 p.m. incident, Metra spokeswoman Meg Reile said.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's office confirmed the person struck by the train was killed, but the gender and age of the individual were not yet known.
Metra officials are urging commuters to find other means of transportation, as trains on the Union-Pacific / Northwest Line could be delayed between two and three hours as the investigation continues, Metra's website said.
For the latest delays and travel information, visit Metra's website.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 23 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van 29 min ago
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality 24 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 16 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
16 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning...
29 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
23 min ago
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos