Owner of Velvet Rope Ultra Lounge, Frank Elliott, charged in Oak Park gay bar and restaurant fire
November 2, 2013 (OAK PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- The former owner of a gay bar and restaurant destroyed by fire last year has now been charged with setting that fire.
Twenty-six-year-old Frank Elliott operated the Velvet Rope Ultra Lounge in Oak Park.
He is now charged with two counts of arson and one count of insurance fraud.
In court Saturday, prosecutors said Elliot and a friend went to a liquor store and got several bottles of Everclear.
The two doused the bar with the alcohol and sprayed gay slurs on the walls before igniting the fire.
Elliot spoke after the incident last year and wondered why he would be targeted.
"This is my life on the line. Everything I've done my entire life is now behind plywood," he said. "Why did they choose me? What did I do?"
A judge set bond at $20,000.
Elliot faces seven years in prison on each arson count and 15 years for the alleged insurance fraud if convicted.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 41 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 47 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 47 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 50 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
50 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
41 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
47 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
47 min ago