Victim's family speaks out on Frankfort paintball attack
November 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Lincoln Way North High School student and swimmer was shot in the eye while trick-or-treating in unincorporated Frankfort.
Courtney Claypool had only been trick-or-treating a short time on Halloween before she had to be rushed to the emergency room.
The 15-year old was hit in the eye with a paintball. It happened in a Frankfort neighborhood when someone in a passing car fired paintballs at Claypool and her friends.
''She said that she reached up to her face and pulled the paintball off of her face and thought for 30 seconds that it was her eye,'' said Mary Beth Claypool, the victim's mother. "It scared the bejesus out of her,'' she said.
Mary Beth Claypool rushed to her daughter as fast as she could and found Courtney's eye bloody and swollen.
They first went to urgent care, but a doctor was concerned about retina damage, so they were taken by ambulance to a hospital.
''She was telling jokes with the paramedics, making the best of a situation. She was a real trooper,'' said Claypool.
Extensive tests showed Courtney's retina is ok. However, the Lincoln Way North High School athlete missed her diving meet over the weekend.
Even though vision is returning to that eye her father is concerned about how her eyesight will be in the long term. And how dangerous it is to shoot a paintball at someone who is not wearing protective gear.
''I think they thought it's just a Halloween prank, to pop off some paintballs, but it you've ever had paintballs, you can feel them,'' said Larry Claypool, the victim's father. " I don't know what they were thinking,'' he said.
local, karen jordan
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies 15 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 12 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti 34 min ago
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- CPD adds bikes to "Operation Impact" foot...
12 min ago
- 7 in :77