Wis. man charged in I-294 crash that killed Ill. state trooper
November 13, 2013 (SKOKIE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Wisconsin truck driver was charged in a deadly Chicago-area crash on the Tri-State Tollway near Willow Road.
Andrew Brian Bokelman, 25, of Lomira, Wis., is charged with violating a number of commercial trucking regulations. The March crash killed Illinois State Trooper James Sauter, 28, in the line of duty when he was struck by a truck tractor-semi trailer, an Illinois State Police news release indicated. Bokelman was en route to Louisville, Ky.
Regulations prohibit drivers from operating a vehicle when they're fatigued, driving more than 14 consecutive hours without taking 10 hours off and making false reports about their duties.
Sauter had his vehicle idling on the shoulder of Interstate 294 when Bokelman's truck struck it from behind. Authorities say the impact pushed the trooper's vehicle at least 500 feet and caused it to erupt in flames.
Bokelman turned himself in to Illinois State Police Wednesday. A judge set bond at $125,000.
It took nearly eight months to file charges. More than 50 state police troopers showed up at the Skokie courthouse in support of Sauter.
Bokelman's truck was loaded with 9,000 pounds of fossil fuel and was seen drifting to the left before hitting Sauter's vehicle. Prosecutors said Bokelman tried and failed to rescue the trooper.
Bokelman had no drugs or alcohol in his system at the time of the accident. If convicted, he faces anywhere from one to three years in prison.
"Today was about supporting Jim's family and supporting Jim. There were 50-plus by my count. These officers were here on their own time. That's the kind of man Jim was," said Major Joseph Perez, Illinois State Police.
Bokelman had only obtained his CDL six month before the accident.
"I don't know if the middle of this case is when this discussion should start, but if truckers are going to violate these laws the penalties should be stiffer," Perez said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 47 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 47 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 13 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 53 min ago
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home