Truck with glass bottles hits I-80 overpass in Joliet, traffic snarled
November 14, 2013 (JOLIET, Ill.) (WLS) -- A truck driver was hospitalized after a semi carrying glass bottles crashed into an overpass on Interstate 80 in southwest suburban Joliet early Thursday.
The semi was westbound on I-80 when the driver left the road for an unknown reason and hit the Center Street overpass about 12:20 a.m., an Illinois State Police District 5 trooper said.
The male driver, whose age was not immediately available, was taken to Provena Saint Joseph Medical Center in Joliet in serious condition, state police said.
The driver was cited for failure to reduce speed and improper lane usage, state police said. Alcohol was not a factor in the crash.
The Illinois Department of Transportation sent inspectors to examine the bridge for damage, and a more thorough assessment will take place later Thursday, state police said.
Crews remained at the scene of the crash about 4 a.m. to remove the truck's cargo so that it could be towed away. As of 7:30 a.m., it appeared one lane was open and a three-mile backup persisted. All lanes were expected to reopen by 8:30 a.m.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Mt. Everest avalanche kills at least 12 Sherpas, 3 missing
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship