Truck with glass bottles hits I-80 overpass in Joliet, traffic snarled
November 14, 2013 (JOLIET, Ill.) (WLS) -- A truck driver was hospitalized after a semi carrying glass bottles crashed into an overpass on Interstate 80 in southwest suburban Joliet early Thursday.
The semi was westbound on I-80 when the driver left the road for an unknown reason and hit the Center Street overpass about 12:20 a.m., an Illinois State Police District 5 trooper said.
The male driver, whose age was not immediately available, was taken to Provena Saint Joseph Medical Center in Joliet in serious condition, state police said.
The driver was cited for failure to reduce speed and improper lane usage, state police said. Alcohol was not a factor in the crash.
The Illinois Department of Transportation sent inspectors to examine the bridge for damage, and a more thorough assessment will take place later Thursday, state police said.
Crews remained at the scene of the crash about 4 a.m. to remove the truck's cargo so that it could be towed away. As of 7:30 a.m., it appeared one lane was open and a three-mile backup persisted. All lanes were expected to reopen by 8:30 a.m.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 50 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- Swimming pools upgrade project moving forward
- Blagojevich begins 3rd year in prison
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness 4 min ago
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future 54 min ago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz... 40 min ago
- Mujeres Latinas en Acción: Voces...
24 min ago