Reward now $15K in former Simeon football player's murder
November 15, 2013 (YPSILANTI, Mich.) (WLS) -- The reward for information in the slaying of Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed has been increased to $15,000.
Crime Stoppers of Michigan on Thursday announced the increase from $10,000.
Ypsilanti police Detective Joe Yuhas tells The Ann Arbor News that police continue to investigate the case and are following leads after getting "good information." The Detroit News reports police last week interviewed 10 people in their investigation.
Reed was fatally shot multiple times Oct. 18 at an off-campus apartment building in Ypsilanti in what police have said was a possible robbery.
The 20-year-old played in six games for Eastern Michigan this season. He was a communications major and starred as a receiver at Chicago's Simeon Career Academy.
Friends of Reed described him as a fun-loving person who became another victim of gun violence. A long line of mourners filed into Holy Temple Cathedral in Harvey last month to say goodbye to Reed.
"He was a tremendous person on and off the field of football," said friend Cywettnie Brown.
"Because he did so much in the little time he was here he will be remembered forever. Always in our hearts," said family friend Eugene White.
Loved ones struggle to understand why he's been taken from them.
"It's hard to lose someone you've known for so long that was a part of your life and the things you loved to do. This is very hard," said Brown.
Reed caught 15 passes for 181 yards and a touchdown this season.
"What he did on the field doesn't compare to what he was as a person," said White.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 51 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 59 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
36 min ago
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
58 min ago