'Run for Kelli' honors murdered 14-year-old; Kelli O'Laughlin killed in 2011 home burglary
November 16, 2013 (INDIAN HEAD PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Two years after the murder of a teenager from southwest suburban Indian Head Park, her memory was alive and well when 800 people gathered at Lyons Township High School for the "Run for Kelli" in honor of Kelli O'Laughlin.
The 14-year-old was murdered in 2011 when she interrupted a burglary at her home.
Despite the rain Saturday, the community came together to raise money in her name.
Kelli's dad was on eyewitness news Saturday morning and said he and his wife made a choice after Kelli's death.
"We wouldn't be here today without the support of the community," said John O'Laughlin. "I think we might still be hiding in my office in our house because the community really dragged us out of the house and as you say wrapped their arms around us."
The man charged with Kelli's murder has still not gone on trial.
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 16 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 10 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 12 min ago
- Ukraine: Warning shots fired, foreign military barred 13 min ago
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- Cooking With Fish
34 min ago