Aurora bird hoarder pleads guilty, gets probation
November 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An Aurora man has pleaded guilty to animal hoarding and cruelty charges after nearly 500 birds were found in his west suburban Chicago home.
The Daily Herald reports 58-year-old David Skeberdis was convicted Monday in DuPage County court. A judge sentenced him to a year of probation, counseling and 50 hours of public service. He was to go to trial Monday.
In October of 2012, authorities found hundreds of birds, mounds of garbage, bird feces and bird seed in the home. About 150 birds were dead, and others were taken by the Greater Chicago Cage Bird Club.
Prosecutors said Skeberdis told investigators he didn't expect the birds - canaries, finches, parakeets and others - to multiply in such an "extreme manner."
On Monday, Skeberdis told the judge he had been in therapy for about a year.
Skeberdis' townhouse was condemned. His attorney, Roderick Mallison, said there had been birds inside the suburban home that Skeberdis "has not been able to capture yet."
On Tuesday, Skeberdis, 57, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of animal hoarding and acknowledged his bird collecting got out of control.
"They're in pretty good physical shape," said veterinarian Peter Sakas. "When you get into a situation like this, you're not helping them at all."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 16 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 40 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore 15 min ago
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later 14 min ago
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd 44 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
16 min ago