Harvey officer shot responding to robbery call at 159th St. and Wood; search on for suspect
November 25, 2013 (HARVEY, Ill.) (WLS) -- A suspect was on the loose Monday, the day after a police officer was shot as he responded to a robbery call in south suburban Harvey.
Sunday night, Harvey police arrrived at the scene at t-shirt shop in a strip mall near 159th Street and Wood. According to police, the suspect started shooting as soon as an officer walked in and tried to interrupt that robbery.
"Officers responded. The first officer on the scene received shots delivered by the suspect. He returned fire. He sustained a non-life-threatening injuries," said Harvey Deputy Chief Jason Banks.
The suspect managed to get away on foot after firing shots from a handgun, but authorities said the suspect might have been hit in the leg during the shootout.
That officer was transported to Ingalls Hospital and was listed in stable condition. Eyewitness News is told he was shot in the arm.
The Harvey Police Department, along with the Illinois State Police, Cook County Sheriffs and numerous local law enforcement agencies are searching for a male suspect, according to the mayor's office in Harvey.
Investigators say the suspect was wearing black clothing and had on a black ski mask inside the store.
Police say they are using all available resources including dogs, to find the suspect, who is considered armed and dangerous.
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 10 min ago
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale 9 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set 47 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses 44 min ago
- Selection Sunday 2014: March Madness bracket hints 46 min ago
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- 7 in :77
4 min ago
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour...
10 min ago
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos