Harvey officer shot responding to robbery call at 159th St. and Wood; search on for suspect
November 25, 2013 (HARVEY, Ill.) (WLS) -- A suspect was on the loose Monday, the day after a police officer was shot as he responded to a robbery call in south suburban Harvey.
Sunday night, Harvey police arrrived at the scene at t-shirt shop in a strip mall near 159th Street and Wood. According to police, the suspect started shooting as soon as an officer walked in and tried to interrupt that robbery.
"Officers responded. The first officer on the scene received shots delivered by the suspect. He returned fire. He sustained a non-life-threatening injuries," said Harvey Deputy Chief Jason Banks.
The suspect managed to get away on foot after firing shots from a handgun, but authorities said the suspect might have been hit in the leg during the shootout.
That officer was transported to Ingalls Hospital and was listed in stable condition. Eyewitness News is told he was shot in the arm.
The Harvey Police Department, along with the Illinois State Police, Cook County Sheriffs and numerous local law enforcement agencies are searching for a male suspect, according to the mayor's office in Harvey.
Investigators say the suspect was wearing black clothing and had on a black ski mask inside the store.
Police say they are using all available resources including dogs, to find the suspect, who is considered armed and dangerous.
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 11 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 31 min ago
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges 56 min ago
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty...
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos