Demarius Reed: 2 arrested in fatal shooting of former football player
November 25, 2013 (YPSILANTI, Mich.) -- Police have arrested two people in the fatal shooting of Eastern Michigan University football player at an off-campus apartment complex, the Ypsilanti school announced Monday.
One suspect was arraigned Sunday and the other was being arraigned Monday in the slaying of Demarius Reed, the university said on its website. The Ypsilanti Police Department planned to release more information following the second arraignment.
The school didn't identify the suspects, but court records obtained by MLive.com show that two 20-year-old Detroit men are charged with open counts of murder. Ed J. Thomas and Kristopher K. Pratt also face armed robbery and other charges, it said.
Thomas was in the Washtenaw County jail, and Pratt was jailed in neighboring Wayne County, MLive.com reported. It said Pratt also faces charges on accusations that he stole a man's Air Jordan shoes, then fired a shot at him.
The Associated Press left a phone message Monday with the Washtenaw County prosecutor's office seeking information on the charges, court proceedings and the suspects' legal representation.
Reed was a 20-year-old communications major from Chicago and played six games this season, catching 15 passes for 185 yards. He starred as a receiver at Chicago's Simeon Career Academy.
He was fatally shot multiple times Oct. 18 at an off-campus apartment building in Ypsilanti in what police have said was a possible robbery. University officials have said that they are hiring four more full-time police officers to support off-campus patrols.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants 8 min ago
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash 6 min ago
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness 32 min ago
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident 25 min ago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- Mujeres Latinas en Acción: Voces...
52 min ago
- NU women's basketball team committed to...
32 min ago