Lisa Madigan, consumer advocates offer advice on safe holiday toys
November 25, 2013 (WLS) -- Enjoying the holiday season also means being safe. On Monday, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan teamed up with a group of consumer advocates to offer advice on recalls for certain products.
Four-year-old Addie has pretty good life. Dolls, tiaras and toys-- lots of toys. You see, her Dad reviews toys on his blog, and a couple weeks ago they opened up a remote-controlled cart.
"It was melting and I was like, 'Oh, it was hot,'" said James Zahn, father/blogger.
"I picked it up and put my thumb on it and pushed the go button and immediately knew what the problem was. So I looked at it and there was a heat bubble right where your thumb would go."
Zahn is warning other parents about the toy on his blog, posting pictures of the toy before and after he says the controller heated up. He also filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commissioner.
"Not only the hot feeling on the controller, but you could smell the burning. . . For me, it's kind of scary because how can you determine if something is going to be safe," said Zahn.
On Monday, the Illinois Attorney General stood with other child safety advocates to release her annual list of toys and children products that have been recalled.
The toy Zahn says melted is not part of a recall. Experts suggest checking the current complaints to CPSC, comments online and supervise initial play carefully.
The CPSC tells us they can't comment on any one complaint without giving the manufacturer two weeks' notice. ABC7 Eyewitness News did reach out to the Australian manufacturer of toy Addie used, but has not gotten a response.
On Tuesday, the Illinois Public Interest Group releases its report with toys to avoid.
IL Attorney General Lisa Madigan's 2013 Safe Shopping Guide
www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov or 1-888-414-7678
To check for current complaints to the CPSC: http://www.saferproducts.gov/
local, leah hope
- Allan Kustok found guilty of wife's 2010 murder 5 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County 49 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 45 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam 56 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos