Hanukkah 2013 meets Thanksgiving: Thanksgivukkah
November 27, 2013 (HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- It won't happen again for almost 80,000 years: Thursday is Thanksgiving and the first full day of Hanukkah. Some are calling it "Thanksgivukkah." Eyewitness News found people busy on Wednesday preparing to celebrate both.
Sunset Foods grocery store in Highland Park is fully staffed for its busiest day of the year.
"We're hopping. It's all hands on deck today," said T.J. Tazioli, Sunset Foods.
A day that's even more hectic because it's not just Thanksgiving dinner these customers are shopping for.
"It's difficult to shop for both only because you need so much for both holidays," said Jessica Bernheim.
Both, meaning Thanksgiving and Hanukkah-- a rare quirk of the calendar has the holidays falling on the same date. It won't happen again for almost 80,000 years! This monumental occasion has earned the nickname "Thansgivukkah."
Meredith Orgiefsky is shopping for both Thanksgiving and Hanukkah dinner. Double the holidays could mean double the stress, but she says it's all about delegating responsibilities.
"My husband is working on the brine for Thanksgiving and then when he clears out of the kitchen later, I'll start on the Hanukkah part," said Orgiefsky.
For Miriam Eisenberg, the holiday mash-up is inspiring some culinary creativity.
"Instead of having stuffing, we're going to have potato pancakes instead," said Eisenberg.
Hanukkah is more than 2,000 years old, but Thanksgiving's been around only 150 years. Rabbi Michael Weinberg says both holidays are inspired by the desire for the freedom of religious expression.
"The notion of the universal message of mutual respect for religious traditions, this is an important message for all people to understand," said Rabbi Weinberg, Temple Beth Israel.
local, karen jordan
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute 24 min ago
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- Late winter snow shuts schools, offices on East Coast
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays