Girl, 13, reportedly drove car in Olympia Fields fatal crash
November 28, 2013 ( OLYMPIA FIELDS, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 12-year-old south suburban boy was killed in a crash that injured three other children.
It happened in south suburban Olympia Fields in the 600-block of Brookwood Terrace. Relatives say a 13-year-old girl was driving the vehicle that the boy and two other friends - another boy and girl - were riding in when the car crashed into a tree.
Almani Kreamer was pronounced dead at Franciscan St. James Health in Chicago Heights. It appears all the occupants in the car were under the age of 16. Police said they believed the driver was speeding.
"I just want the other children to understand because they were all in the car together," said Regina Anderson, the victim's mother.
The three other victims were transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. Police said the investigation into the crash was ongoing.
Anderson came to the quiet, tree-lined street looking for answers.
"What was he saying?" she wondered. "Did he suffer?"
"It's really hard, when this is a day of gratitude, for her I'm sure. So we're here as a neighborhood, as a community," said Beverly Reed Scott, victim's neighbor.
Jim Moroney, a neighbor, rushed to the car after hearing the kids inside screaming for help. Although Almani's mother says he was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, he was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Terrell Neely says the group came by his house twice before the accident and that it was no surprise to him to see the girl driving her mother's car.
"A while ago, she said that her mom let her drive on her birthday when it was her birthday a couple months ago, and she said her mom let her drive the car around," Neely said.
Relatives of the alleged 13-year-old driver refused to speak on camera. Meanwhile, Almani's mother said she just moved to the town recently.
"You don't know what to say. there's nothing you can do but pray," Anderson said.
local, evelyn holmes
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash 18 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet 42 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 45 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple... 5 min ago
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77
57 min ago