2 struck in separate Metra incidents in Downers Grove, Highland Park
November 29, 2013 (WLS) -- Two people were struck in separate incidents along different Metra lines Friday evening.
One person was struck at the Downers Grove Main Street station, the other was struck in Highland Park near the Fort Sheridan station.
In Downers Grove, a Metra spokesperson says a pedestrian was hit by a "slow-moving" train around 5:45 p.m. headed inbound that left Aurora at 5:20 p.m. That person suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
A pedestrian was fatally hit near the Fort Sheridan station about 7:15 p.m., Metra spokeswoman Meg Reile said.
Outbound train No. 357, which left Chicago at 6:31 p.m. and was scheduled to arrive in Kenosha, Wis. at 7:56 p.m., remained stopped two and a half hours after the incident, Reile said. The train was not scheduled to stop at Fort Sheridan.
Inbound train No. 358, which was scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 8:25 p.m., also remains stopped on the other side of the crash, Reile said.
Outbound train No. 359, which was scheduled to arrive in Waukegan at 8:04 p.m., went as far as the Highland Park station before turning around to accommodate passengers between Highland Park and Chicago, Reile said.
The tracks remain blocked at the site of the crash as investigators continue to examine the scene and work to clear the tracks, Reile said.
It is not clear how long the delays will last, and service alerts on Metra's website are advising riders to expect delays of one to two hours.
Highland Park police could not immediately provide further details about the circumstances surrounding the crash.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant