Black Friday 2013 Kohl's parking lot shooting: Bond set at $400k for Robert Russell, $100k for Gerald Chamberlain
November 30, 2013 ( ROMEOVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A judge has set bond for the two men charged in connection with the Black Friday incident at a Romeoville Kohl's.
Gerald Chamberlain has been charged with theft and Robert Russell has been charged with attempted murder, retail theft and obstructing an officer. A third individual, the 52-year-old driver, is hospitalized.
A judge set Russell's bond at $400,000 and Chamberlain's bond at $100,000.
A Romeoville police officer shot a man and another officer was injured Thursday night while trying to prevent men from allegedly shoplifting at a Kohl's store in the southwest suburb.
Romeoville police say they got the call from Kohl's just after 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving about shoplifters in the store. Authorities say when they arrived at the store, they saw one man running out the front doors. Romeoville officers chased the man in the parking lot, but he jumped into a Pontiac Sunfire, police said.
That's when one of the officers jumped in after him, but the man closed the door on the officer's arm, police said, and the driver dragged the officer as he was partially inside the car. Police say a backup officer ordered the driver to stop multiple times, and when he kept going, the backup officer fired three to four shots toward the driver. The driver was struck once in the shoulder area, and at that time, the car came to a stop, police said.
"We then were able to arrest the driver and the passenger and arrested the third subject, who was still inside the store," said Romeoville Police Chief Mark Turvey.
"Definitely not something I expected tonight. [I was] just doing some light shopping, trying to get in the Black Friday spirit, buy a few things. A little shaken up, not bad or anything. I was within five feet of everything happening. It was very surreal," witness Phil Koster said.
A bullet hole was visible through the window of the Pontiac and shattered glass was all around. The Kohl's store on Weber Road was open when the incident happened and remained so Black Friday.
The driver has yet to be charged due to hospitalization, the passenger was Russell, and the suspect still inside the store was Chamberlain, police said. The police officer who was dragged was treated and released from the hospital. The driver's condition was not known immediately, but he was expected to survive.
Kohl's issued the following statement:
A police investigation is under way into this matter. We are cooperating with the authorities leading the investigation and are referring all media inquiries to police.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 10 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 17 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 7 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 28 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 26 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
7 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
10 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
17 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
13 min ago