3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
December 4, 2013 (HOMEWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Three people were in custody Wednesday after a south suburban bank robbery led to a four-hour search.
Police say at approximately 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, a takeover bank robbery occurred at the Bank of America branch located at 18460 Governors Highway in Homewood. Two armed individuals entered the bank, announced a robbery, and after obtaining money from bank employees, fled on foot, police said. No injuries were reported at the bank.
One suspect in the robbery was taken into custody shortly after the incident by Homewood police. A multi-agency search for the others involved in the heist ensued, and at approximately 2:30 p.m., two individuals believed to be the same persons who carried out the bank robbery were taken into custody without incident in the parking lot of an apartment complex near the bank. Charges are pending at this time.
At least 30 squad cars and FBI vehicles were on the scene near 183rd Street and Governors Highway in Homewood. A SWAT team arrived about 11:45 a.m., and several law enforcement officers had their weapons out. Several SWAT team members were seen running up Aida Court north of 183rd Street.
Parker Junior High School, at 2810 School St. in Flossmoor, was on lockdown, with no one allowed to enter or leave the building, a school official said. Homewood-Flossmoor High School also had been on lockdown but had been given the "all clear" as of 1 p.m.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 7 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 45 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online 14 min ago
- CTA Green Line service halted, officials say 28 min ago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 47 min ago
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea 9 min ago
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD