Police officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
December 12, 2013 (ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Arlington Heights Police Department said a standoff involving a suspect who shot a police officer ended after several hours when police shot the man.
Police say the suspect allegedly was holding a woman hostage. She was able to escape unharmed.
Police said a call was made from within a house in the 1900-block of Windham Court just before 7 p.m. Thursday night that a man with a gun was holding a woman hostage. A responding officer was shot once in the neck and transported to Lutheran General Hospital.
"Multiple officers responded. As the first officer went in, he was shot one time in the neck. Responding officers that were with him were able pull him out of the residence to to safety. He was subsequently transported to Lutheran General Hospital," said Commander Andrew Whowell, Arlington Heights Police Department.
The officer, a 20-year veteran of the force, is in critical but stable condition.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital. His condition is not yet known.
ABC7 Eyewitness News at 4:30 a.m. will have more on this developing story.
local, ravi baichwal
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies 16 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 13 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti 35 min ago
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- CPD adds bikes to "Operation Impact" foot...
13 min ago
- 7 in :77