Police officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
December 12, 2013 (ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Arlington Heights Police Department said a standoff involving a suspect who shot a police officer ended after several hours when police shot the man.
Police say the suspect allegedly was holding a woman hostage. She was able to escape unharmed.
Police said a call was made from within a house in the 1900-block of Windham Court just before 7 p.m. Thursday night that a man with a gun was holding a woman hostage. A responding officer was shot once in the neck and transported to Lutheran General Hospital.
"Multiple officers responded. As the first officer went in, he was shot one time in the neck. Responding officers that were with him were able pull him out of the residence to to safety. He was subsequently transported to Lutheran General Hospital," said Commander Andrew Whowell, Arlington Heights Police Department.
The officer, a 20-year veteran of the force, is in critical but stable condition.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital. His condition is not yet known.
ABC7 Eyewitness News at 4:30 a.m. will have more on this developing story.
local, ravi baichwal
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home