911 tapes released after gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff
December 16, 2013 (ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police have released 911 tapes after a Thursday standoff in which a gunman who allegedly shot an Arlington Heights police officer was fatally shot by police.
The tapes detail how Eric Anderson, 41, barricaded himself in a home and held his ex-girlfriend hostage in northwest suburban Arlington Heights Thursday night.
Arlington Heights Police Officer Michael McEvoy, 52, was shot after he entered the home.
The tapes reveal an apparently desperate man who threatened to kill anyone who didn't do what he said. Eight calls surrounding that incident were made, and it all ended with an ex-girlfriend held hostage for two hours, an officer shot and the gunmen dead.
911 Caller: Oh my God, he is shooting again.
Dispatcher: Who is he shooting at?
Caller: I don't know, he is shooting at my girlfriend's daughter, please hurry. I don't know what he's doing to her.
Dispatcher: Is anybody hurt?
Caller: I don't know.
This call was made by a neighbor who told the dispatcher the shooter threatened to kill all three women in the house including his ex-girlfriend and her mother. Officer Michael McEvoy was shot in the chin as he entered the home in the 1900-block of Windham Court.
Dispatcher: Whats your emergency?
Caller: I just shot a cop.
Dispatcher: Tell me what your name is.
Caller: Eric Anderson.
Dispatcher: Where in the house are you?
Caller: I'm in the basement and if anybody comes in I will shoot them.
The standoff ended after police shot and killed Anderson. This all happened when police tried to intervene in a domestic situation with the gunman and his ex-girlfriend. The recordings also reveal that the hostage was able to text her father in Las Vegas who called police with her message.
When the hostage was freed her father thanked authorities. Police say she had broken up with Anderson in November and was granted an order of protection. She was not injured.
Officer Michael McEvoy remains in intensive care but is expected to make a full recovery.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 46 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 52 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 26 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 57 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77