Boy, 13, describes alleged Aurora home invasion: "I thought I was going to die there"
In west suburban Aurora, police are investigating a home invasion. Among the victims is a 13-year-old boy, who talked about his frightening experience.
That boy was alone at house and held at gunpoint, and the family is speaking out and warning others. On Wednesday night, 13-year-old Roberto Herrera, Jr., his father and uncle are still shaken.
Eyewitness News reporter Eric Horng: "Did they hurt you at all?"
Roberto: "No, they didn't."
Horng: "Were you afraid that they might?"
Roberto: "Yeah. I thought I was going to die there."
It happened Wednesday morning at his house in a quiet Aurora subdivision. Roberto was returning home after walking his brother to school while his father was away at work.
"Three guys with black masks came in the back of me and just pushed me inside," said Roberto.
The trio of thieves-- one armed with a handgun-- demanded to know where the family kept their safe. But when Roberto had no answers, they began ransacking the home.
"They went to my mom's room. They threw clothing everywhere. They broke the closet. They tried going to the attic. They brought a ladder to see what's in there," said Roberto.
"It's a week prior to Christmas. If something happens to him, we're not going to have a Christmas. These guys don't care," said Felix Favela, uncle.
It took only about ten minutes and the men left with some jewelry.
Investigators now are looking at surveillance video from outside the home, which police say may have been chosen at random.
"Just keep an eye out. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, and if you see anything at all suspicious. Don't hesitate to give us a call," said Sgt. Timothy Ciochon, Aurora Police Dept.
Roberto Herrera is still trying to make sense of it all.
"I'm like, what's wrong with these people? How could they do this?" said Roberto.
The three masked men are described as thin, between 5'10" and 6'1" and police believe they may have gotten away in a grey or silver Honda CRV, or something similar.
local, eric horng
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 51 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
49 min ago